debstmomy's grief journey

A blog about my grief journey over the life & death of my baby girl, Alexa Rose.

Friday, July 01, 2005

3 weeks ago today, my baby Alexa was born still. I am still in such a fog. I have good days & bad days, and good & bad moments within those. I have been doing research on stillbirth, also known as Sudden Antenatal Death Syndrome, SADS. It is amazing how many babies die each year due to SADS. 1 out of 115 babies die within the womb, making 15,000 babies die each year. That is almost EIGHT times more babies dying than those that die of SIDS. About 2,000 babies die of SIDS. But what makes me even more angry, is that there is hardly any research or funding for research to find out why these precious babies die! So much info on SIDS, but only a small percentage of babies die of SIDS, so many more baby's being stillborn & nothing is being done!!! There are no hospital protocols in place when a baby is stillborn. Why is there no autopsy offered, unless parents want to pay, something like $5,000 for?? Why no chormosonal study, when they will do one before baby is born with an amnio, but why not when born still??? Is this where I am supposed to go now???? I am thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home